Our Trip via Gogal Map

Our Trip via Gogal Map

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Day 3 - Crescent NY to NYC

This morning we left the Boat Club at 6:50, after an amazing sun rise, to make it to the first lock by 7:00.  We had 6 more locks to go with the first 5 being one right after the other.  They are called the Waterford Flight and they take you down into the Hudson River,  these locks drop a total of 150 feet.  This is the largest drops in the shortest distance not only on the Erie Canal but in the world.  Once out we had one lock left, the Federal Lock, then we were free to go on our way.

We stopped at the Albany Yacht Club for fuel before heading to NYC.  We took on 175 gallons @ $3.24 per gallon and we were on our way. 

Bob decided early that it was my day to get a nick name, so after much thought he decided on Radar Annie!  I guess Mike is up tomorrow.

Along the Hudson we saw so many things.  Of course my favorite sites were all the lighthouses that were the markers for the channel.  I lost count how many we passed.  At noon Mike was at the helm and was given very specific instructions to make up all the time we lost yesterday, I mentioned he better be careful or his nickname would be "Turtle"!  He stepped it up and ended up passing many boats of all different shapes and sizes.

We passed many famous places that are on the Hudson, West Point, Sing Sing Prison and some very large mansions.  Soon we had the NYC skyline in sight and it was time to make our plans for the night.  I found one marina in a magazine that had a view of the Empire State Building, I had let Bob know that was the place, but after calling and finding out it was $3.00 per foot, I was told to find something else.  Luck was on my side today because the river was getting rough and I was having a hard time finding another marina.  As I looked off to my starboard side, there it was...Lincoln Harbor Marina with the Empire State Building right across from it.  Bob said to call and before I knew it he was pulling in.  The view is amazing, but the docks are a little, well, rocky.  With all the traffic on the river, all the boats are rocking from side to side, sometimes very violently.  But Mike and Rick got us all tied up and I think we will be fine, just hope non of us fall out of bed tonight.

We went a total of 157 miles today and are looking to make it to Atlantic City for fuel in the morning and then on as far as we can.

2 comments:

Sweetpea said...

Kim, you are doing a great job with descriptions of your adventure. Looking forward to hearing what "handle" the Captain gives Mike.

John said...

You are making it easy to follow along. I spend a lot of time everyday just checking on where you are. I am learning a lot with my arm chair navigation, of course with you as a coach, Kim the task is easy. I look forward to you daily messages. I always read them befory I go to the "Y" at 4:45.

Continue to stay safe and keep us posted.
Love,
Dad